This hot tub looks inviting, doesn’t it? In the Spring we get multiple requests to hook up hot tubs, and often that involves trenching an underground line. If you are getting ready to add or replace a hot tub in your palace, here are some facts you should know.
The power supply for a hot tub or spa is usually 220 volts and between 30-60 amps, although some smaller units operate on 110 volts. Because a hot tub application puts water and electricity close together, and requires special safeguards, you should hire a professional. Homeowners should not do this themselves unless they are a licensed electrician. A 220 volt electrical circuit can kill you, so please respect that power and the danger it represents when you handle it.
Most homes built since the 1970’s have the appropriate minimum level of service, which is 100 amps. If you don’t have at least 100 amp service, you will need a professional to upgrade your service before installing a hot tub or spa.
Professionally licensed electricians will know the National Electrical Code as well as local codes that apply to hot tub installations. These are some of those requirements.
- Avoid Power Lines: Never place a hot tub where a power line could fall into it
- GFCI outlet: Always use a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) because of the presence of water
- Shut Off Button: There must be a water-protected switch not less than 5 feet away, such as a red push button on a post.
- Avoid Underground Wiring: When necessary to run wires under the hot tub, wires need to be inside metal conduit or a non-metallic direct burial system. The depth must be 6 to 18 inches depending on the type of system used.
- Keep lighting at least 10 feet away and wired to a GFCI outlet.
Protect Your Family and Friends – Use a Professional
When you are ready for installation, please contact us for your home or apartment complex. We will ensure safe, water-tight connections and all national and local code requirements will be met or exceeded.
Frye Electric, Inc. has been servicing Indiana since 1975 – more than 40 years! We are a proud American small business and we value every customer. Please call us and give Frye Electric, Inc. the chance to earn your business today and in the future.
Please visit our G+ page: https://www.google.com/+FryeElectricIncAvon