Prevent Electric Shock

Anytime there is electricity present, it’s important to take measures to prevent electrical shock. An electrical shock can occur when the body comes in contact with electrical current. Depending on the strength of the current, an electrical shock can be simply startling, to severe or even fatal. Prevent electric shock by following these safety measures.

Make sure all appliances, switches, and plugs are located away from water. Because water is a great conductor of electricity, it is a danger around these sources. Do not touch appliances or cords if they are wet or in standing water, or plug them into an outlet; likewise, do not handle electric devices with wet hands.

prevent electric shockHave older 2-prong outlets replaced with 3-prong outlets. The 3rd prong provides a ground for electric devices, reducing your risk of shock. Have outlets professionally replaced to ensure they are installed correctly and are safe to use.

Place plastic safety protectors in unused outlets to protect against electric shock. This keeps children and pets from accessing the outlets, which can prevent electric shock.

Don’t plug too many cords into outlets. Using too many devices on the same outlet can overload the circuit, which can cause electrical shock. Also, don’t use plug adapters or extenders regularly for this same reason.

Use ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to prevent electric shock. These devices detect dangerous current levels, and interrupts the circuit if detected.

prevent electric shockInspect the cords and plugs on your electric devices and appliances to make sure they are in good condition. Store devices and their cords properly when not in use to prevent damage.

Replace frayed or damaged cords or wiring. Cords and wiring have a protective coating which allows electricity to be conducted safely. When this exterior coating is damaged, the conducive materials inside are exposed and are dangerous. Bare wires should never be touched.

Before repairing damaged cords, wiring, or other electric devices, make sure to turn off power to the area at the fuse or breaker box. Ensure the current is turned off by using a tester before handling.

Inform your family about electrical safety, and how these measures help prevent electric shock. If you have curious pets, correct them if you find they’re paying unwanted attention to cords, outlets, or other electric devices.

If you have any questions about the measures you can take to prevent electric shock, please contact us. Frye Electric can provide important information to keep you safe, as well as provide reliable installation and repair for your home’s electrical system and other electric devices.

Share this article.

Related Posts:

Comments

comments

This entry was posted in Safety and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Connect with Facebook

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>